Tuesday, August 14, 2007

publix

So, I got a piece of mail today. Publix thought enough to spend money on a piece of mail that would inform me of their new policy of free antibiotics. Purely on their own initiative, Publix has decided to provide the free world with needed antibiotics. I should be happy. Obviously as a physician, I should be ecstatic. I must routinely prescribe antibiotics for sick individuals with a bacterial infection that require antibiotics but can not afford them.

Then why does it tick me off???

Because Wal Mart came out with a plan 6 months ago to provide low cost generic drugs to the population for $4? Or because now people will expect antibiotics to rain from the heavens as water.

I'm a physician. As such, I have pursued a craft that allows me to follow my internal calling. My calling is to help as many people as possible. Now I will have the poor as advantaged as the more insured to request and demand antibiotics for every viral infection that occurs.

First off, how many people that really required antibiotics have not been able to afford them?? I have worked at Grady in Atlanta, and in South Central Los Angeles. If you need antibiotics for a life threatening infection, you will receive them no matter your ability to pay.

So who is this appealing to? The new initiative is appealing to people who want antibiotics for any infection that may occur. Instead of requiring a sacrifice and an attention to health, antitbiotics are now free. I do not mean to isolate the poor, who will now have free antibiotics, I mean to isolate all who do not see antibiotics as a VERY expensive treatment. Anyone with a viral infection (cold, cough, sniffles) has the right to symptomatic treatment. They do not have the right to an antibiotic. In contrast, people who are quite well off do not have the right for an antibiotic, no matter how much they can pay. If you have a viral infection, you do not need antibiotics!

But I still have patients that demand them. Why do I refuse? Why do I continue to educate, knowing that I'll just get a poor evaluation on whatever JHACO score of the minute exists? I know they'll go across the street, so why do I waste my time? Because I know that antibiotics that are unnecessary lead to resistance. I know that a patient that requires a z-pack 3-4 times a year for their "sinus infection" will at some point actually need antibiotics, and will therefore be unresponsive to a Z pack. Amoxil is already a moot point thanks to enough parents that want to cover any eventuality. How many more will remove from our arsenal as people demand them? Luckily now, at least they may be free.

1 comment:

Cervantes said...

I recommend The Alliance for the Prudent Use of Antibiotics, which has resources for patients and physicians.

Believe me, you should keep up the good fight. It's really important, and may have a major impact on the future of humanity. No exaggeration.